A Pacific Council delegation recently traveled to the Arabian Peninsula to explore the region’s economy, culture, and political environment. Council members visited Doha in Qatar and Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Several key themes emerged from their visit.
Briefings covered economic diversification efforts, culture and education, innovation, sustainability, diplomacy, and each country’s relationship to the United States, Iran, and the Middle East region. Delegates met with:
- Secretary General of the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy H.E. Hassan Al Thawadi
- CEO of the Doha Film Institute Mrs. Fatma Al Remaihi
- CEO of the Qatar Foundation H.E. Sheikha Hind bint Hamad Al Thani
- U.S. Ambassador to Qatar Dana Shell Smith
- Foreign Minister of Qatar H.E. Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al-Thani
- Commander of the 379th Air Expeditionary Wing at the Al Udeid Air Base Brigadier General Darren V. James
- Former Ambassador of Qatar to the United States Bader Omar Al-Dafa
- UAE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Dr. Anwar Gargash
- Chairman of the Abu Dhabi Chamber of Commerce & Industry H.E. Mohamed Thani Al Rumaithi
- UAE Minister of Culture and Knowledge Development H.E. Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak Al Nahyan
- Former U.S. Ambassador to the UAE Michael Corbin
- U.S. Ambassador to the UAE Barbara Leaf
- President and Speaker of the UAE Federal National Council Dr. Amal al Qubaisi
A wide-ranging discussion on UAE foreign and domestic policy with H.E. Dr. Anwar Mohammed Gargash, Minister of State for Foreign Affairs. Dr. Gargash is also the UAE’s Minister of State for Federal National Council Affairs. Read more.
An informative trip to the UAE's Masdar City to learn about the city's innovative approach to sustainable urban development. Read more.
A meeting with Dr. Amal Al Qubaisi, President and Speaker of the UAE's Federal National Council, to discuss issues ranging from sustainability and political reform to the participation of women in government. Read more.
A discussion with H.E. Hassan Al Thawadi, the Secretary General of Qatar's Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy (the body in charge of planning and operations for the 2022 FIFA World Cup), on Qatar's mission to "transform perceptions of the Middle East through sport." Read more.
A meeting with H.E. Sheikha Hind bint Hamad Al Thani, CEO of the Qatar Foundation, on Qatar's education institutes, science and research centers, and community development initiatives. Read more.